Quick Resources

  Online Support Group & Forum
  Find Doctor / Treatment Center
  Helpful Forms & Charts
  Symptoms
  Therapies
  Diet / Iron Content In Foods
  Genetics
  Join Physician Registry


When too much iron results in too little iron


When too much iron results in too little iron

As the human body converts food to energy, oxygen is used to make water. Some of these oxygen molecules, however, bond with other elements to form toxic compounds. These molecules are called reactive oxygen species (ROS) and include superoxide, hydrogen peroxide, and free radicals.

ROS can damage iron-containing proteins, leading to the release of iron. Because this iron is not bound to a protein, it can freely penetrate other cells. These cells could as a result stop growing or die, a process called ferroptosis.

Certain amounts of ROS in the body are necessary for major functions like hormone synthesis and immune responses. Excess iron, however, can convert the beneficial ROS into a form that is very toxic to other cells in the body, such as those that mature into red blood cells.

When ROS accumulation damages red blood cell production in the bone marrow, red blood cells already in the circulatory system aren’t being replaced. Because red blood cells carry iron via hemoglobin, less iron is being transported throughout the body. This process could make conditions like hemolytic anemia worse (even though excess iron is what may have contributed to oxidative stress – ironic!).

Hemolytic anemia is most often seen in patients with sickle cell disease or thalassemia but can also be seen in patients who are marathon runners, infantry soldiers, or who have mechanical heart valves. Decreasing oxidative stress through antioxidants could be good therapy for hemolytic anemia. Antioxidants capture and stabilize free radicals before they can react with other cells and cause serious damage.

Dietary phenols, chemical compounds found in plants, have antioxidant effects and are found in foods like berries, apples, kale, broccoli, and ginger. Nutritionists have been researching how phenols like curcumin (an ingredient of turmeric) and quercetin (a plant pigment) prevent cancer and inflammation in the brain.

To learn more about research on antioxidants and how they impact iron disorders, visit healtheiron.com.

18 comments (Add your own)

1. David Dorris wrote:
The point that I'm trying to make to somebody, anybody is that a low serum ferritin level is not necessarily because of a diet low in iron, but can be because the veins leading away from an organ impede blood flow and cause iron to collect in the nearest upstream organ. So the title of my article would be "When to little iron results in too much iron."

tiredness or weakness
autoimmune disease equivalent (CFS) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or
(MS) Multiple Sclerosis
abdominal pain
autoimmune disease equivalent (IBS) Irritable Bowel Syndrome Crohn's disease
joint aches or pain
autoimmune disease equivalent (RA) Rheumatoid Arthritis

With severe iron overload, you may experience:

gray-colored or bronze-colored skin
autoimmune disease equivalent psoriasis
arthritis
autoimmune disease equivalent (RA) Rheumatoid Arthritis
diabetes
autoimmune disease equivalent diabetes

Sun, July 31, 2016 @ 7:00 PM

2. Theo Constantinides wrote:
I have Thalasemia Minor and discovered only now at the age of 61 that I have high Ferritin levels 525 .I have had three plebotomies and reduced ferritin to 392 I was tested for haemoglobin today before blebotamy and my haemoglobin was
12.4 retest 12.2 so I was not allowed to do plebotomy
Previously my haemoglobin levels around 12.9 and my doctor concerned about ,therefore blood test to ensure haemoglobin high enough
I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because I just can't donate blood due to my condition
I have stopped eating red meat and alcohol and take IP6 inositol Hexaphosphate 2 every morning
What advise due you have to raise haemoglobin levels to above 13
Thank you for the Institute and its help to many suffers of iron overload

Wed, September 21, 2016 @ 10:55 AM

3. Theo Constsntinides wrote:
Hi
My symptoms are :

stiff fingers
Pigmentation on skin eg face and arms
Tiredness
Sometimes labored breathing
Memory fog
Anxious

Blood test show no damage to vital organs
Liver ,spleen heart and no diabetes
Blood pressure good
Thank you
Theo Constantinides

Wed, September 21, 2016 @ 11:08 AM

4. Ron Partilla wrote:
I am suffering with a rash and terrible itch since spring of last year after receiving iron infusions.I have a special shampoo,ointment,and use calming lotions etc.yet I still cannot shake off whatever this is.Can anyone help me and give me some advice! I will forever be GRATEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
The itch is not an itch that you scratch and goes away,but an itch that wants to stay around forever...showers,ointments,creams etc.do nothing!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!
Ron in Ohio

Mon, January 2, 2017 @ 6:19 PM

5. Ashima wrote:
Webkinz is played by all kids world wide because of the animal love and now you can generate the free webkinz codes easily in just no time by using authentic webkinz codes generators.

Sat, January 14, 2017 @ 9:35 PM

6. Karen wrote:
Ferritin1125 iron saturation 21
High fatigue, joint pain,headaches, noise in head

Thu, March 9, 2017 @ 1:54 PM

7. Stan Sullimon wrote:
Diagnosed with hemochromatosis 15 years ago. Been faithfully doing phlebotomy every 2 months. Now I have a new doctor who tells me I am iron deficient. Tech mentioned a disease which involves both situations.

I am confused

Mon, January 22, 2018 @ 4:18 PM

8. http://freewsopchips.net/ wrote:
You can play for the great game any time play i am full interesting play wsop chips generator.

Tue, January 30, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

9. Anise wrote:
This article is very interesting.

Fri, May 18, 2018 @ 1:10 AM

10. Paula wrote:
This article is very interesting.

Thu, May 24, 2018 @ 2:42 AM

11. maria wrote:
t is superb content I thought and even I was searching similar this subject articles for knowing about it.

Tue, June 19, 2018 @ 4:02 AM

12. Meredith Reese wrote:
My husband is my hero, he saved our marriage and my heart from an unhealthy emotional attachment with my ex.
The problem was that I jumped into marriage from a fresh breakup, I never allowed my heart to heal, that’s why I was heavily hunted and distracted to a point that I almost abandoned my husband and our 2 beautiful daughters to my ex. Look how stupid I was to think that my beloved husband of 5 years can be replaced by a bad ass ex-boyfriend.
My husband proved that real men still exist despite all the embarrassment I brought to him, he didn’t let go, he rather worked with Dr. Wakina through his love spell to untie me from the unhealthy emotional attachment with my ex.
Now my eyes are open to cherish the beautiful family I have, I also realised the meaning of true love. I’m hoping to do more than what Dr. Wakina via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com did for me.
Thanks to my husband for letting me share this story.
Remain blessed.

Mon, July 16, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

13. Meredith Reese wrote:
My husband is my hero, he saved our marriage and my heart from an unhealthy emotional attachment with my ex.
The problem was that I jumped into marriage from a fresh breakup, I never allowed my heart to heal, that’s why I was heavily hunted and distracted to a point that I almost abandoned my husband and our 2 beautiful daughters to my ex. Look how stupid I was to think that my beloved husband of 5 years can be replaced by a bad ass ex-boyfriend.
My husband proved that real men still exist despite all the embarrassment I brought to him, he didn’t let go, he rather worked with Dr. Wakina through his love spell to untie me from the unhealthy emotional attachment with my ex.
Now my eyes are open to cherish the beautiful family I have, I also realised the meaning of true love. I’m hoping to do more than what Dr. Wakina via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com did for me.
Thanks to my husband for letting me share this story.
Remain blessed.

Mon, July 16, 2018 @ 1:56 PM

14. JSON formatter online wrote:
Thanks for your sharing. Hope you can contribute more quality posts to this page

Mon, July 16, 2018 @ 9:46 PM

15. clouds wrote:
My mum had small cell terminal lung cancer. She lost her hair while going through chemo and it devastated. She has recently finished her radiotherapy and she was losing her hair again :( mum wanted me to shave it off again as it's coming out in clumps.i know she was very upset and have told her to be confident it'll grow back but she's so upset, life became hell for me, because i just cant imagine my mum this way. i actually posted this online, and somebody replied me, that he knows once who can cure my mum, without spending much money and without taking anytime anymore, and there wont be any hair loss anymore. I said okay and i want to give it a try, the person that helped him (the person that i was referred to) is Dr Covenant, his email is covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com, he gave me his email address and i contacted him and told him everything, he (Dr Covenant) said i should not worry everything'll be okay in space of 8 days, i actually gave him a try.
It was not up to the 3rd day, i started noticing changes in my mum. Now my mum is healthy back and the cancer is gone. Am so grateful about this. I actually thought that my mum was going to die, but now she is still alive. Friends, if you have any problem such as cancer, or other illness like HIV/AIDS, GONORRHEA, or any other illness at all, and he is also specialized in getting ex back contact Dr Covenant on his email covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or add him on watsapp on +2349057353987 or call him directly on +2348146671563. you can also go through his website if interested http://covenantspelltemple.blogspot.com.
MY BEST FRIEND IS STILL ALIVE, AM GRATEFUL COVENANT.

Wed, July 25, 2018 @ 12:32 PM

16. Nicole John wrote:
Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next write ups Thank you once again.

Thu, July 26, 2018 @ 10:21 PM

17. Alison Paul wrote:
Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent.
I really like what you have acquired here, really like
what you are saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise.

I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

Sun, July 29, 2018 @ 7:39 AM

18. vex 3 wrote:
thank you for sharing information

Sun, August 5, 2018 @ 10:49 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.